Dear “Rhio,”
We hear cancer stories every day. On commercials and in movies, we watch as a character learns of his diagnosis, watching how he proceeds, faced with the unthinkable. Often, the next scene takes us to a hospital, where the character is undergoing chemotherapy, seemingly his only possible choice. Through mass-media, living with cancer has come to mean living with conventional “cures.” In movies, commercials and television shows, it seems as though there are only two options when given that life-changing prognosis: undergo chemotherapy, or avoid treatment altogether and let the disease take its course.
What you did, “Rhio,” was think outside of that box. In hearing your story, my mind became opened to new possibilities, ones that I had not been exposed to before. That you lived for six years when the doctor gave you one; that you turned despair into agency, searching out treatment methods beyond the conventional wisdom; that you showed immense courage and optimism in the face of the unimaginable – these paint an image of bravery unseen in the movies, an image of bravery that strikes at the essence of our humanity: our ability to choose.
Though none of us like to think of hearing that fateful diagnosis, for all too many of us, cancer has been or will be a part of our lives. For you, the diagnosis was mesothelioma, a rare form of cancer often caused by exposure to asbestos. Having only heard of this form of cancer in passing, your story inspired me to learn more about mesothelioma. What I had not known was that this cancer affects the thin lining of our internal organs and that many of America’s veterans – especially those in the Navy – have been diagnosed with mesothelioma as a result of asbestos in shipyards and engine rooms. Many of the sources of information I found on this form of cancer cited radiation and chemotherapy as the most prominent forms of treatment. Because of your story, I was able to read this information with the knowledge that it told only half of the story. The other half, you told with your courageous life.
What would I do if faced with the same decisions you once faced? Though doctors would certainly mention and recommend chemotherapy, radiation, and other conventional methods of treatment, I would follow in your footsteps, doing extensive research on alternative healing practices. I would talk to professionals from diverse institutions, never trusting a single source as the basis for an informed treatment decision. I would seek multiple opinions from physicians, visit alternative cancer treatment centers, talk to cancer research institutions, and consult traditional healers such as acupuncturists and experts in traditional herbs.
The only way to make a truly informed decision is to equip oneself with as much knowledge as possible, from as many sources as possible. Outside of the professional opinions I had gathered, I would enlist loved ones to help me in extensive research. I would sift through studies, testimonials and research materials to inform myself of the various methods being employed and tested throughout the world. By asking those closest to me to aid me in my search, I would build a supportive forum in which each of us could discuss our findings with one another. Not only would this make me think critically about my research, but it would also allow loved ones to feel that they were taking an active part in my treatment.
One of the most important aspects of any treatment decision is building a supportive community. In my quest for information, I would seek out other individuals living with cancer. By connecting with other brave individuals, I would learn first-hand stories of treatment and recovery. By sharing in others’ journeys with cancer, I would not only be working towards informed treatment decisions, but also surrounding myself with empathetic, supportive, and tough-minded individuals capable of nourishing my soul as well as my body.
Most importantly, however, I would never give up hope. Emily Dickenson once wrote that “Hope is the thing with feathers. / That perches in the soul.” Hope is more than just optimism, or strength, or inner peace – hope is a form of energy. It enlivens us to never accept the unacceptable, to move beyond what has been given us and soar beyond all expectations. Hope drives us to take agency. It reminds us that there are choices, even when it seems as if there is but one. It helps us to love greatly and to be love greatly, to live our lives with the wish of one day ascending, of surpassing all the chains and roadblocks placed in our way to find our own path through life, no matter how short.
You lived your life in hope, and it gave you the energy to outlive your diagnosis. Now your hope has transcended the bounds of your life and sparked a new hope in me. By sharing your story with the world, I hope to imbue others with a sense of your indomitable spirit, your fierce intelligence, and your insistence on living life by your own rules. Thank you for living a life that has touched and inspired others.
Yours gratefully,
Hannah
No comments:
Post a Comment